Monday, January 25, 2010

teach them principles that will bring them peace and joy...

Totally stole that line from one of the greatest friends that I have ever had...you know who you are! And I have decided it will be my goal this year, my New Year's Resolution if you will (it's still January after all).

I have recently been feeling mired in the muck of life. Deflated, downtrodden, maybe even a bit depressed. Do you ever feel that way? Maybe it's the weather, the cold. Or the endless, multiplying piles of junk in the office, and in the kitchen, and in the kids' rooms, and in the basement (don't even get me started on the basement!). Oh yeah, and let's not forget about the garage. Just thinking about tackling those projects sends me crawling back into bed.

We have all of these things in life that are supposed to make our journey here a little easier, right? All of this technology to help us be productive. But instead of being productive and carefree, I feel overwhelmed and over-stimulated. I go crazy all day long and get nothing done. And what am I teaching my children??? Life should more about just getting through each day.

So tell me what you do to feel like you have really done something. How do you organize your day so that every day tasks are accomplished AND your children know that you love them and that Heavenly Father loves them? How are you helping them to be the person that they are supposed to be? How do you teach them principles that will bring them peace and joy?

Any, and all suggestions welcome.

3 comments:

RAQ said...

I think you do that more than you realize! One thing that has helped me is getting up early to read my scriptures. I am not a morning person but I have noticed since I started that it has brought me greater peace and joy. This I can share with my kids. I used to read whenever I could fit it in and which usually meant just before bed and I would fall asleep 5 minutes in. Since I have begun doing this I still battle sleeping but it's not as bad and I feel I have noticed a greater spiritual strength in my life. love you!

Julie said...

I'm with you Cathy! I feel just blah! Its January!

Jessica said...

Well, in my vast years of parenting expertise, let me shower you with my wisest words of advice...not. I have none. Except that you are such a COOL, righteous, young, fun, good-hearted person, mother, and favorite aunt. I came in with a non-biased opinion and quickly realized how awesome you are. My parents taught me that Heavenly Father only wants my best. That's all I can give. That's all you can give. We're sending good vibes from across the country. We love you!